Rainy Day Exteriors
Spring Roof Maintenance Checklist
As our gray skies make way for Spring, your roof in Port Orchard, Tacoma, or Gig Harbor likely experienced quite a bit over the winter months. Once the weather is nice enough for you to safely access your roof, here is what we recommend you do to give your roof a Spring cleaning.
1. Clear the Gutters and Downspouts. Over the winter, your gutters collected lots of leaves and pine needles, and now you need to make way for our spring rains. Your downspouts also need some attention, as they can easily get clogged.
2. Clean it up. If you didn’t clear your roof of moss and algae prior to winter, you need to do it now. As moss grows and gets thicker it works its way under your shingles leading to damage and potential leaks.
Removing it is simple. We recommend you gently remove the moss using baking soda, powdered laundry detergent, or Moss Out for Roofs, and then use a leaf blower to push away any debris. Finish with a Zinc treatment that will kill any remaining moss and help keep future growth to a minimum.
3. Check your Shingles. You want to check for damage to your shingles. This includes missing, curled, or stained shingles.
Missing Shingles. These leave your underlayment exposed to the elements. So, replace any missing shingles as soon as you can.
Stained Shingles. Stained shingles indicate a leak, or that your roof’s ventilation isn’t working properly. It’s definitely something a professional should take a look at.
Buckling. A buckled, or bowed shingle needs to be addressed quickly. This is because it usually indicates there is an issue with the framing or infrastructure of your roof. A buckled shingle is caused by moisture buildup that then causes the framing to buckle or shift.
4. Check your Trees. Trees grow quickly in the spring and summer, so a trim will help to minimize their potential damage to your roof.
5. Flashing. Flashing is a thin layer of waterproof material that keeps water from getting into places it does not belong. You’ll want to make sure it is properly maintained so that water can get through the penetrations on your roof.
As you complete this checklist, you might start to wonder if you need a new roof. If that is the case, give us a call. We offer complimentary inspections and estimates. Give us a call today to get started.